Thursday, October 3, 2013

The Struggle and Eventual Success in Getting to York

3 October 2013

Once again this isn’t a craft based blog post.  Very sorry about that but I just haven’t had the time to dedicate to crocheting.  For this past week or so I have been running around like a chicken with my head cut off in preparation for leaving for and arriving to York, England.  When the fated morning of my departure did in fact arrive I was scrambling to finish everything.  Somehow my bags squeaked underweight by a mere pound but they had not been checked all the way through to Manchester.  That meant I would have to pick them up in JFK before re-checking them again and waste the time I was planning to use in the fancy Delta Sky Lounge, which my parents had graciously gotten me a day pass to. 

With a lot of finagling the lady at the check-in desk got the bags on one ticket straight through to my destination of Manchester.  I thought all would be well but there was a feeling in the pit of my stomach that something would go wrong.  And of course it did.  The flights themselves weren’t horrible just incredibly long and uneventful.  I couldn’t sleep on the overnight trans-Atlantic flight so I was miserably beat when I boarded the final plane from London to Manchester.  It was a simple 30 minute flight, but it took about 30 minutes to taxi and take off.  That is one thing I have learned about the London Heathrow Airport, the taxi-ing takes FOREVER!

But all went well with the flight and I de-planed and headed straight for the baggage claim, and waited for my bags to arrive.  I waited and waited and waited until there wasn’t anyone else left and nothing but a single suitcase remained on the endlessly looping conveyor belt and it wasn’t either of my two large duffle bags.  Trying to quell the rising panic and fear I calmly walked over to the baggage services desk and reported my problem.  The kind man there told me it was most likely left in London and should be at my address by the evening.  Relieved I left the airport and took the 2 hour bus ride to York, uneasy but optimistic. 

I arrived to the university and went through the check-in process before arriving at my room, rather large for a dorm style room.  I have more than enough space for my things and clothes, but I had no clothes or things to fill the room with.  Later on in the evening I borrowed a friend’s phone (since I hadn’t yet purchased a sim card and thus didn’t have a phone number or carrier) and called the baggage services number to get an update on my bags since I wanted to head out and get something to eat but didn’t want to miss my bags being dropped off.  The lady on the other end of the phone noted that there hadn’t been an update to the location of my bags and thus they wouldn’t be arriving that day or perhaps the next day either.

That is when the real panic set in.  I had no other clothes or toiletries to my name and felt the world was crumbling around me.  I tried to stay calm and went out with some new friends to a pub for dinner.  A large problem that made itself known the next day was the fact that my course (Bioarchaeology) department had organized a field trip/hike for the following day, Sunday.  Luckily I had received a free t-shirt that I could wear but alas that was the only new piece of clothing I had.  Oddly enough stores close quite early in the evening and thus I had been unable to get some of the basics I so desperately needed.  Thankfully there were some kind and generous people in the house that lent me shampoo, conditioner and the like.

The happy ending to this story comes the following day, Monday, when my bags did indeed finally arrive.  But of course that wasn’t without difficulties.  My mother had confirmed with the company (since I still didn’t have a phone number) that I would receive an email with the delivery time of my bags sometime between 9-10 in the morning.  So I woke up bright and early, not wanting to miss such an important email.  But I never got an email, instead I happened to check their website for an update at around noon since I had yet to receive anything from them.  The update stated that the bags would be arriving at the house sometime around 3:20 in the afternoon.

Needless to say I was annoyed.  I had been up and waiting since 9 am.  With the new information though I was able to go to campus and get a few things done before heading back to be at the house by about 3 in the afternoon.  I wanted to be there early in case the bags came early.  But once again I waited for about 2 hours before contacting my mother, who called to get an update.  It was then determined that they had gotten stuck in traffic and should be at my house within the hour.  Well fast forward another 2 hours and the van finally arrived with my bags.  I graciously signed for them and with the help of my friend Katie, hauled them upstairs to the third floor where my room resides.

MY BAGS!!!
It has now been about two days since my bags came and I have finally been able to settle into my room, with my things and clothes, and start to feel at home in this foreign city.  
View from the door
Opposite wall
 Now I just need to steel myself for the intense year of study that is about to begin.  Yet another test of my abilities, both academically and personally.  Though I think I can get used to all the amazing architecture and history of this city of the ages.

Until next time!


Brittani

1 comment: