Friday, September 13, 2013

WiP: Cargo Pants

So the past few weeks have been busy, to say the least.  Here's a picture of what I'm working on (besides home work and you know... work).

Yeah, doesn't look like much yet does it?  Still, I'm insanely proud with my progress.  This is the second pair of 'real' pants I've ever made, and the first pair were super simple wide leg pants on an elastic waist band.  They're not really my style.  However I realized that I am wearing my few pears of jeans out and to be honest I really want cargo pants.  At least in Arizona, good cargo pants for women as fairly hard to find.  The ones I could find have been cheaply made out of thin fabric.  I'm rough on my clothes so I wanted something a bit tougher.

This is a natural colored cotton twill with some stretch.  I can't say the exact content.  I got it from SAS, and awesome little store in Tempe, AZ.  They mostly have mill ends and such, so you sometimes have to dig to find what you want.  There are a lot of treasures though, and I could spend hours there!  I'm using a plain unbleached cotton as the pocket linings.  

So far, I have the front assembled except for button holes and buttons.  These are going to be button fly with 8 pockets- two front, two back, and two on each side.  There will be a grand total of eight buttons, four on the fly and two on each side pocket flap.  The list of things I've done -wrong- are surprisingly minimal.  I drafted the pleated cargo pocket too small, and didn't realize it until after I'd cut the fabric and pressed the pleat into it.  Luckily I had enough large pieces to redraft and get two more pockets.  And let's not talk about the flat fell seam.

Actually, let's do.  First off, it's backwards- that's the wrong side of the fabric you see there.  Second, it's a pretty awful seam.  Third, this is the inseam.  How the heck am I supposed to put side cargo pockets on if I've already sewn the inseam you ask?  Yeah, I couldn't figure that one out either.  So this whole seam is getting ripped out.  Since it was already trimmed I'm going to be careful when I match it back together and see if I can get it neater.  Then I think the key will be lots of pins or *shudder* basting. 

The goal for this weekend is to get the outside seams sewn up, check the fit, flat fell those seam, and pick out the inseam.  On Monday I'll have some time in my college's sewing lab to attach the pockets and maybe even fix the inseam.

On that note, the Bernina I've been working on scares me.  I have an old Riccar machine that's worked just fine but that thing shakes whatever table it's put on to pieces. The Bernina, despite not being a top line machine, is whisper quiet and so smooth in comparison.  The fact that the needle always stops up also freaks me out a bit because I frequently stop my machine with the needle down to help hold the fabric in place while I'm making sure it's lined up and such.  It does take some getting used to.

That's it for now.  Again only one post this week, but hopefully when it's my turn again I'll be able to post up a picture of the finished pants, plus a bonus post!  Brittani leaves for York in two weeks.  I'm going to miss her, but I don't envy her.  York is cold!

-Kellie

No comments:

Post a Comment