Wednesday, August 21, 2013

I'm Making a SCARF!!

21 August 2013

These past few weeks have been crazy to say in the least.  I have been wrestling with my Visa application for studying in England and all the pre-work that has to be done in order to send it in.  I had to get my fingerprints scanned and a full facial photograph.  This is in addition to the countless piles of paperwork I had to sift through in order to create the package to be sent for Visa consideration.  All in all it has been a long and stressful road thus far, and I’m not even in England yet.

This is all in addition to my sister preparing to head off to college.  As you may or may not remember I attended Arizona State University.  Well it seems my family is destined to be a House Divided since my sister is going to attend the University of Arizona.  The long standing rivalry between these two schools is famous and each year they have a game, called ‘The Duel in the Desert’ for ownership of The Territorial Cup, one of the oldest trophy rivalry game.

This past year it was won by ASU!  Go Sun Devils!

So visa stuff and college prep for the next sibling in line after me, quite busy.  But alas I still find some time for a little crafting.  When we were last together I was figuring out a few basic stitches and was thinking about my first project.  Well I did a little research into how to make a simple scarf and found that you only need to know how to Chain stitch and Single Crochet stitch.

It was about 25 chain stitches long

I started by making a chain stitch for as wide as I wanted the scarf to be.  Length will be determined by how long I continue to stitch.  I tend to stitch very tightly and thus the holes you typically see are quite small and hard to see.  That also means that my fingers are a little achy from the pressure I put on them for making such a tight stitch.

Close up of the chain stitch

From there I made my first real row of single crochet stitches.  This is accomplished by ‘turning the chain’ which for a single crochet stitch means crocheting one chain stitch when you get to the end of the row before continuing onto the next row.  This is to ensure that the stitches look right and are of the right height.

First completed row

And then I just continued for a few rows.  It took me a little longer to get those few rows done than I thought but I did notice that I sped up a bit as I went.  You can certainly enter a sort of trance when working on crocheting projects. 

The adventure has began, only a zillion more rows to go!

I know it is going to take me a while to finish this scarf to the length that I want but I will be sure to keep the blog updated with my progress on this and any other projects I start.  Until next time!


Brittani

1 comment: